With much anticipation, I finally got my hands on the Dyson Supersonic and I decided to put in the hands of a professional- my (very trusted) hairdresser on my Wedding day… I don’t typically do things by half!
So here were my thoughts prior to pressure testing this baby:
- It’s a little strange looking
- It’s $700. With top of the range professional dryers available for $300, what makes this device worth the additional dollars?
- Does a British vaccuum giant really know what women want from a hairdryer?!
The Supersonic was announced in April, causing much online debate. The circular device promised to prevent heat damage and protect natural shine, without the noise of a traditional dryer. And let me tell you, I went into this very sceptical!! (Sorry Dyson)
- My hair WAS noticeably shiner (I couldn’t believe it)
- It took far less time to dry my hair
- The blast of air that the dryer omits (without the attachments) could literally take your head off. Note* use attachments!
- The defuser & nossels magnetically attach with super ease
- Quieter? Yes but I guess this actually depends on the quality of dryer you already use. This isn’t a feature I would write home about.
- Light- yes! 618g’s to be precise.
Is it worth the money? I would have to say yes. If, like me, you are time poor and terrible at blow drying your own hair – buy it!
My hairdresser’s opinion was a little different. Being in the industry she had heard a fair bit about the Supersonic prior to using it. I think when you have a skill level like hers, she’s used to getting killer results, i.e. A perfect shinny blow dry, so it was difficult for her to see the difference. She did however like that it was light & quiet which I would think are important for someone using a hair dryer all day long.
I am not one to sugar coat my thoughts and I’m sure there will be a tonne of reviews out there in no time, so I hope mine has helped you make your investment decision!
The Dyson Supersonic will be available in Myer (Melbourne City) and David Jones (Elizabeth St Sydney), from midday today – July 9th. Other stores will follow nationally on the 10th.
On a random side note – my bearded husband took the dryer for a test drive, with RAVE reviews. He swears his beard lies flatter and is shinier… But he does work for Dyson. & he’s bald and male, so what would he know. Either way, damn it! Now we will be fighting for the hairdryer in the mornings!!
Photos by the incredible Janneke Storm
6 thoughts on “Great Expectations”
Just stumbled upon your blog today, really lovely and beautiful photography! Might have to invest in one of these hair dryers myself :)x
Thanks Lucy Anne 🙂 appreciate the feedback! And definitely go try the Dyson- it’s pretty special! X
You look like a happy and are a beautiful bride. Your hair and makeup are exquisite! Thanks for the review which was fascinating. 🙂 ~ Robin
Thanks Robin! Appreciate ur kind words. J.x
I will try to stay in touch! Have a fantastic weekend, Jill! 🙂